“I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual.” – Henry David Thoreau
In preparing for the Thanksgiving week of feasting, I recently found an absolutely addictive and delicious vegan version of a white bean, kale and sausage soup recipe from Veggie Society using puréed acorn squash and leek as the broth base, and I have happily made four times already! Like me, most people are familiar with sweet roasted butternut squash tossed with fall spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger, but to my surprise the acorn squash purées into a very smooth and surprisingly buttery soup base with a mild sweetness which pairs really nicely with fresh Italian spices like rosemary and thyme. I love the simplicity of cooking with ten ingredients or less, and I especially love a good soup to stock up the fridge all week, and this is one is going to be my new standby this year!
- 1 acorn squash, seeded and diced into chunks
- 1 bag or bunch of Tuscan kale, chopped
- 15 oz can Cannellini beans, extra can if you like it chunkier
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 package of any vegetarian Italian sausage (we prefer Trader Joe’s brand but also enjoy Lightlife brand), sliced
- 2 TB Better Than Bouillon soup base OR 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 TB fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 TB olive oil
Sauté leeks with olive oil and garlic in a soup pot on medium heat until wilted and started to caramelize. Toss in acorn squash along with rosemary, thyme and bay leaves then add vegetable broth or 10 cups water with Better Than Bouillon and stir everything together. Once boiling, turn down to simmer and let cook for 25 minutes, or until squash is soft. Remove bay leaves then use hand blender to purée everything into a very smooth thick consistency. Stir in the beans, sausage and kale, then let simmer for another 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. According to original recipe your can also add lemon, red pepper or liquid smoke for additional flavor. So easy!